Johnny Depp was born to a typical blue-collar family in Owensboro, Kentucky. Initially a teen sensation in the early 90’s, Depp has since gone on to become one of the most versatile actors of his generation… And he’s given some truly sensational performances. Films like ‘Blow’, ‘Donnie Brasco’, ‘From Hell’ and even ‘Sleepy Hollow’ have gained ‘cult-classic’ status. That being said, even the best of talents have the worst of days… and there still exist some Johnny Depp films that left us feeling truly disappointed.
Listed below we give you the countdown:
10. ‘Dead Man’ was a western style comedy about a city hustler turned gun-fighter on the run, with an intriguing Indian friend in the Northwest wilderness. IMDb rates ‘Dead Man’ 7.7.
9. ‘Public Enemies’ is based in the early 1930’s, and depicts the events that went down during the largest crime wave in American history, as well as the birth of the FBI. IMDb rates ‘Public Enemies’ 7.0.
8. ‘Charlie & the Chocolate Factory’ is about a young boy who wins a golden ticket to the world’s biggest and most surreal chocolate factory run by a very odd bloke (played by yours truly). IMDb rates ‘Charlie & the Chocolate Factory’ 6.7.
7. ‘The Libertine’ sees Depp don the role of the second Earl of Rochester and documents his sexual and deviant adventures in London in the 17th century. IMDb gives ‘The Libertine’ 6.4.
6.‘Nick of Time’ sees Depp play an average ‘joe’, who is forced under duress to kill a politician or suffer the fate of watching his daughter die. IMDb rates ‘Nick of Time’ 6.3.
5. ‘The Man Who Cried’ is about a boy on a journey from Russia who falls in love with a gypsy horseman. Co-starring Cate Blanchett and Christina Ricci to film received an IMDb rating of 6.2.
4. ‘The Rum Diary’ is based on the life of an American journalist trying to find a balance between a rum-soaked life in Puerto Rico and his journalism career. Incidentally this is the film where Johnny met his soon-to-be missus bombshell Amber Heard. IMDb rates ‘The Rum Diary’ 6.2.
3. ‘Dark Shadows’ is a story about an imprisoned vampire who returns to his ancestral home to protect his modern day descendants. Though initially hotly-anticipated, the film didn’t quite live up to expectations. IMDb rated ‘Dark Shadows’ 6.2.
2. ‘The Tourist’ revolves around ‘Frank’, a tourist in Italy whose purpose is not made immediately clear. Produced for a reported $100,000,000.00 the film co-starred Angelina Jolie and Paul Bettany. IMDb rates ‘The Tourist’ 6.0.
1. ‘The Astronaut’s Wife’ is about the aftermath of a space exploration mission gone wrong, and the post-traumatic effect it has on an astronaut as he returns home to his family. IMDb gave it a rating of 5.3.
All great actors have their ups-and-downs, but all hope is not lost for our favorite Captain Jack Sparrow. Depp returns to the big screen in ‘Mortdecai’ starring alongside the beautiful Gwyneth Paltrow. Needless to say, we have high expectations…