An exercise routine, however short, in the morning, may be just what you need to change the average number of bad days in your working life to good ones.
Research says morning exercise doesn’t only tone muscles, it also boosts your mood, so add pep to your day by starting it with these five simple body and spirit lifters.
1. Go for a short run. A brief run around the block will get your circulation pumping, reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, and is an excellent prep for a busy day. The early hours of the day are the best time to communicate with Nature, and with your inner self, so that you’re in good shape to take on the world.
2. Leg Squats. Leg, knee and hip muscles all benefit from squats. Standing straight with your feet a little wider than your hips, raise your arms in front, then lower your body down to a 90 degree angle, then resume standing position. 3 sets of 10 reps and you’re good to go!
3. Side Lifts. The contraction of the abductor muscles help move your arms and legs away from your body, which facilitates all kinds of movements like even getting in and out of your car. Strengthening these muscles makes movement smoother. With legs straight, lie on your left side. Placing your hand on your hip, slowly raise your right leg and back. Do 15 leg-raises on each side.
4. Jumping Jacks. Nothing works better as a toning routine than this fun exercise, which is as simple as stepping back into childhood. Stand up straight, then jump as high as you can, spreading out arms and legs as you jump. This exercise aids in cardiovascular health as well as toning calf and deltoid muscles.
5. Push-ups. Push ups are at the foundation of any exercise routine. Lie facedown on the floor with your arms extended in front, then raise yourself up as you exhale and lower your body as you inhale. The key is to keep your back straight at all times.