He’s been hailed as the greatest genius ever for his scientific bent of mind, but much of what Einstein thought and believed can be chalked down to plain common sense, and the fact that common sense is not that common.
1. “Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one learned in school.” There’s an important difference between being literate and being educated. School will teach you the three R’s – Reading, (W)Riting and ‘Rithmetic – but to be truly educated, you need to open up your mind and absorb lessons from the world around you, questioning, reasoning and correcting continuously.
2. “Look deep into Nature; you’ll understand everything better.” The ‘circle of life’, if we’re observant enough, teaches us all about our place in the universe and how each link in the chain of existence is so important.
3. “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” Acquiring knowledge will take you nowhere if you don’t add the wings of imagination to it. Creative effort and innovation, which are key to progress, are only possible if you dream.
4. “Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance, you must keep moving.” Forward is the only way to go. You cannot dwell in the past and be bogged down by regret. Forgiveness is something that should begin with yourself; only then can you reach out and help others.
5. “I never think of the future – it comes soon enough.” Savour the present and live in the moment. Once gone, it’s never going to come back. If there’s some good you can do, don’t wait for a more opportune moment, the best time is now. And don’t worry about tomorrow, life has a way of sorting itself out; it may take some twists, but things will eventually fall into place.
6. “You can’t blame gravity for falling in love.” Even for the greatest human brain ever, the phenomenon of falling in love remained one of the inexplicable mysteries of the universe. Love follows no rules; it creates its own.