Lemons have been used for centuries in herbal medicine and home-remedies because of their antiseptic qualities. Build up the habit of drinking a cup of warm water with lemon every morning and you’ll reap rich health benefit rewards.
1. It boosts your immune system. The main component of lemons, Vitamin C, is a great weapon for fighting all kinds of infections, especially common colds. Lemons are also rich in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function and keeps your blood pressure stable.
2. It maintains the PH balance in your bloodstream, reducing overall acidity. Contrary to general perception, lemons are one of the most alkaline foods. The citric acid in them does not create acidity once it is metabolised. A healthy PH balance is good for hair, nails and skin.
3. It clears your skin. The Vitamin C in your lemon water will help fight wrinkles, sunspots and blemishes, keeping the ageing process at bay. Applying lemon juice directly to scars also reduces their dark appearance.
4. It’s a diuretic, meaning it increases the rate of urination, getting rid of the toxins in your system. Warm lemon water early in the morning is especially beneficial for people with urinary tract problems.
5. It relieves respiratory problems. Add a teaspoon of honey to your lemon water and you have an age-old remedy for coughs, colds and congestion. If you’re having it regularly, you’ll have a winter free of sneezing and wheezing.
6. It helps with weight-loss. A cup or glass of lemon water first thing in the morning is part of many diet-plans for a reason. It acts as a temporary appetite suppressant. Taken half an hour before breakfast, it will make you less likely to over-indulge at the breakfast table.