One of the best sources of Vitamin C, grapefruit has many health benefits that make it a must-add food to your diet. It makes an excellent accompaniment to any meal and taken in juice or whole-fruit form, works wonders for your well-being.
1. Grapefruit contains retinol antioxidants and a compound called spermidine, which helps in repairing damaged skin and fighting the onset of fine lines and wrinkles, slowing down the ageing process.
2. It makes a great astringent and skin tonic. Grapefruit juice rids your skin of excess oils and tightens the pores. Facial products that contain grapefruit essential oil are good for toning your skin and maintaining the PH balance. Because of its antiseptic qualities, it also helps in controlling acne.
3. It’s an an appetite suppressant. Grapefruit often figures prominently in diets for weight-watchers. It contains a flavinoid called naringin, which speeds up the metabolism. Drinking a glass of grapefruit juice half an hour before a meal is a good idea if you want to shed the pounds.
4. Grapefruit lowers cholesterol. Scientific studies show that including grapefruit in the diet helps people suffering from diseases related to high cholesterol levels.
5. It’s good for your hair. Because it contains a chemical that reduces the amount of yeast in your system, grapefruit juice helps clear dandruff. Massage the juice lightly into the roots of your hair before shampooing to wash away dandruff. A final rinse with half a cup of juice mixed with water will keep your crowning glory shining brilliantly.