The blood vessels or arteries are like a network of roads that ensure proper circulation to all parts of our body. Just like traffic jams clog up roads and make passage difficult, the arteries are sometimes clogged up by residue of fat, calcium, cholesterol and cellular waste, creating health hazards.
Luckily, some foods that we eat are natural combatants against these dangers.
1. Olive Oil. It’s a star of the superfood category because of its excellent cardiovascular benefits. Rich in polyphenols and monosaturated fats, its antioxidant properties keep blood vessels free from residual pollutants.
2. Asparagus. An excellent artery-cleaning superfood asparagus produces glutathione, an antioxidant that helps fight inflammation and blockage in blood vessels.
3. Almonds. The American Heart Association says almonds promote cardiovascular health, lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) levels by as much as 15 percent. Almonds contain magnesium, which ensures stable blood pressure and reduces plaque build-up.
4. Watermelon. Make the most of the summer and feast on this heart-friendly food. It contains amino acids that help stabilize blood pressure and lower formation of plaque in blood vessels.
5. Broccoli. Studies conducted by Imperial College of London concluded that eating broccoli helps to prevent plaque from building up in your blood vessels. This is because of a compound called sulforaphane which aids the body in utilizing protein. The Vitamin K content in broccoli also leads to proper absorption of calcium, which can sometimes remain in the arteries and cause blockages.