The light nip of winter brings with it an inclination towards all things warm, healthy and comforting.
One such beverage is an Almond Milk Latte. Almond milk, a substitute for regular milk is readily gaining popularity among health aficionados for its healthy properties and sublime taste.
This alternative to milk keeps the heart healthy and skin glowing with zero cholesterol and the Omega oils found in fish. According to a number of health blogs, it also contains 50% of the recommended daily amount of Vitamin E. Almond milk is a perfect substitute for the lactose intolerant, very low in fat and can be easily made at home. All you need to do is soak the almonds and puree them — the result, a blissful elixir of retreat!
For this recipe you will need:
– 1 cup raw almonds
– 2 cups of water
– 1/2 cup hot coffee or espresso if you prefer it stronger
– Natural sweeteners like honey or agave
– A pinch of cinnamon
– A drop of vanilla extract
1. Soak the almonds overnight and drain the water later.
2. In a blender or food processor, pour the water and almonds and blend at high speed for 2-3 minutes. The almonds should be finely broken down and the water should turn opaque.
3. Strain the almonds using a cheese cloth or fine mesh and press all the almond milk from the almonds.
4. Mix the almond milk and sweeten with a natural sweetener to taste.
(The leftover almond mix can be added to oatmeal, smoothies or in baking.)
5. Heat the milk and froth it if you like and add a drop of vanilla extract.
6. Pour the coffee into the milk as you require and add a pinch of cinnamon, adding more sweetener to taste.