It’s been a great week for Jason Bourne fans. This is the first time, since the fifth film in the blockbuster ‘Bourne’ franchise was confirmed, that fans got a glimpse into what they can expect. The films title ‘Jason Bourne’ was officially announced on February 7th, the same day its first teaser trailer also came out. But what else do we know about one of this year’s most hotly-anticipated films. Let’s take a look:
- Thus far, all four movies in the franchise have been going in the title order of the books. For the longest time it was rumored that the fifth installment would be titled ‘The Bourne Betrayal’ (in keeping with tradition). It wasn’t until this week, that the ‘Jason Bourne’ title was confirmed.
- Jeremy Renner’s Bourne sequel was supposed to have a 2016 release date with ‘Fast & Furious’ director Justin Lin at the helm. But after Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass confirmed they were going to make another movie, the release date for Renner’s sequel was pushed back to accommodate the return of the ‘originals’.
- Matt Damon would not voice Jason Bourne in the 2008 videogame ‘The Bourne Conspiracy’ because he said he found it too violent. This will be the first time since 2007’s ‘The Bourne Ultimatum’ that he will reprise his role as Jason Bourne.
- Veteran actor Tommy Lee Jones will be playing Bourne’s CIA counterpart. In previous films actors such as Joan Allen and Edward Norton have played this role.
- Jeremy Renner’s character Aaron Cross from ‘The Bourne Legacy’ will not feature in this new Bourne film. Renner’s Bourne sequel will release somewhere around 2018 or 2019.
- Swedish talent Alicia Vikander is confirmed to be playing the female lead. This will be Vikander’s second spy film after Guy Ritchie’s ‘The Man from U.N.C.L.E.’ Julia Stiles will also be reprising her role as Nicky.